On September 16, 2020, the State of Oregon started the Covid-19 Temporary Leave Program. This program is intended to help bridge the gap for the Families First Coronavirus Relief Act and will run from September 16th through December 31st or whenever the allotted funds run out. If you meet the requirements listed below, you can use the program for only one quarantine period of up to 10 working days.
According to this Oregon.gov website: this “$30 million program was established with money received from the federal government earlier this year to help Oregon respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides a $120 per-day payment to workers who need to quarantine/isolate due to COVID-19 exposure or symptoms, but do not qualify for COVID-19-related paid sick leave or do not have access to COVID-19-related time off.”
In order to be qualify for the program you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Do not receive COVID-19-related time off through their employer
- Their employer is exempted from the Families First Coronavirus Response Act’s emergency paid sick leave requirement
- They have exhausted available COVID-19-related paid sick leave
To be eligible for the program, you must meet ALL the following requirements:
- Work in Oregon and required to file an Oregon personal income tax return.
- Directed to quarantine by a local or tribal public health authority or health care provider because of exposure to someone infected or have COVID-19-related symptoms and are seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Not able to work (including telework) because you need to quarantine or isolate.
- Do not expect to earn more than $60,000 individually or $120,000 jointly in 2020.
- Your employer does not provide COVID-19-related paid sick leave, or you have exhausted your available COVID-19-related paid sick leave.
- Are not applying for unemployment insurance benefits for the time off due to quarantine or isolation.
- Are not applying for workers’ compensation benefits for the time off due to quarantine or isolation or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Are not seeking or using benefits from similar COVID-19 quarantine relief programs in Oregon or another state.
- Are not applying for or receiving other forms of paid leave from your employer during your quarantine or isolation, such as banked sick leave or vacation leave.
- Are not laid off or furloughed by your employer.
- Must have notified your employer that you need to quarantine or isolate.
- Can claim only one quarantine period.
There are two exemptions, one is that any private-sector employer that has more than 500 employees and for employers with fewer than 50 employees when imposing sick or family and medical paid leave would jeopardize the viability of the business. The second is for employers who employ health care providers or emergency responders.
To learn more about this Temporary Paid Leave Program, click on the following link: https://www.oregon.gov/dcbs/covid-pl/Pages/about.aspx